the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I Want to Forget

I initially didn't want to post this here but since I already emailed my father about it when he asked, I'll post it now.

____________________________

I'm back from Cagayan Valley.

I went to Pagudpud for the first time. It was a five hour drive from Tuguegarao City.
I had fun playing with the kids (Alej's cousins) and burned my skin because I forgot sunblock.
But the all the fun was cancelled out by my witnessing of a horrible tragedy...the drowning to two people.

The kids and I were riding the waves near the shore. We were happy that the sun finally began to shine because when we got there in the morning there was bad weather and the waves were scary. We still went to the beach to play on the sand and swim but knowing how scared I am of open sea beaches (pagudpud opens up to the South China Sea), I mostly stayed on the shore. An hour later Alej came to us and told us to get out of the water because somebody had drowned at the opposite side of the beach where the waves were more ferocious. We trekked down to where a crowd was gathering and when I looked out to sea, I saw the body of a woman lifelessly floating on the water face down. It was horrible from there-- men retrieved her and held her from her ankles to get the water out of her. Her mouth was bubbling with water and air and she was just....LIFELESS. She looked like she was floating on water for a long time.

I saw everything from the floating body to the retrieval of the dead girl. Alej tried to revive her using mouth-to-mouth resuscitation but I knew she was gone-- her face was WHITE, her lips were a dark shade of purple, her eyes were lifeless, and she was already bloated. It was horrible to witness something like that especially when her guy companion couldn't be retrieved because of the strong waves. As of sunday, his body is still at sea.

Rest in peace. :'(

What a traumatic experience... I won't be going to Pagudpud for a long time. Maybe even NEVER AGAIN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home