the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

terrorism in makati

I've watched countless news on terrorism on tv, read about it on papers or on the internet news, and heard about it on the radio. All of these terrorism attacks happen faraway from home. Perhaps in the same country as I, yes, but bomb explosions and such happen faraway from Metro Manila. I thought I was safe. But I was wrong. When it strikes the mall you frequent and when you were supposed to be there on the same time the bomb exploded, that's a different story.

I was at Greenhills Shopping Center with Alej yesterday when his uncle called and asked where we were. He said there's a stampede going on at the Glorietta as they spoke. We didn't know what was happening during the time so we continued what we were doing. As we were leaving the parking lot a few thirty minutes later, my sister called from her office asking me where I was. She said there was an explosion at Glorietta and advised me to say out of malls for the day. I turned on the radio in the car and switched on to AM frequency to listen to the news. From Greenhills all the way to Eastwood, Alej and I were tuned in on what was happening. I was also texting Bea and I'm glad my Makati friends were not in the vicinity (as selfish as that may sound).

I was shocked. Sad. Broken. I didn't know how to react. You know when you live your life in a carefree manner laughing at foreginers/outsiders who are scared out of their wits to set foot in the Philippines in fear of being terrorized, it does not sound right to be scared IN YOUR OWN HOME (PHILIPPINES). I am scared. I was even more scared when I realized that I was supposed to meet with Jennie at 1PM in Glorietta had my LCA arrived on time. Isn't that scary?

Alej sometimes park near the Glorietta 2, Timezone-Foodchannel entrance. I still can't shake it out of my mind-- what if my LCA did arrive, the meeting with Jennie did push through, and we chose to park at our regular parking space? :(

My heart goes out to the victims-- the hundreds wounded and the nine dead. It is an abominable act to set explosives in such a public place such as the Glorietta mall. The people who died did not deserve to die a death as horrible as a bomb explosion. My heart breaks because this terror act affects the country as a whole. We are restless and scared out of our wits. We felt safe in a famous mall like Glorietta where everyone goes. If we're not safe in a mall that we used to trust, where will we feel safe? The security checks could have helped BUT IT DID NOT. I always knew that they were useless. I don't even think the security guards know what they're searching for when they search the bags of people and cars before entering the parking area!

I'm angry. I'm angry because a preposterous act happened IN MY HOME. THIS IS BAD PUBLICITY FOR THE COUNTRY. We already have a bad projection towards the world and now this. It is INHUMAN.

Justice must be served.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dei Vy said...

OMG!! this is really shocking! did they say who's behind all the attacks?

i don't even want to begin to imagine what happens if you did go. no. it's just too painful.

this is really sad. i don't even know what to say. it's like we're helpless but the government should do everything in their power to stop this. as if it's that easy huh? sigh.

i love you girl. there's a reason why your ride didn't arrive.. God has bigger plans for you.

take care of yourself.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Gail Mallo said...

Hi Dei,

Please pray. It was horrible, horrible. And now there are controversies surrounding the investigation of the explosion.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home