the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Monday, May 7, 2007

Let Your Hair Down

The difference between me and other people I know is that I believe in a force that drives me towards goals. I believe in good. I have always been optimistic about things. I am one of those few people who still believe in world peace and that if people strive to live for others they can and will make a difference. Call it seeing the world through rose colored lenses. Some people call it apathetic. I call it optimistic.

I was afraid of failing before but life's experiences taught me not to be that person anymore. Ambeth Ocampo, our commencement speaker during UPM's graduation, shared many of Jose Rizal's life stories. Contrary to popular belief, Jose Rizal was not all great and mighty because he had several mishaps in his life just like any other person. He was a careless doctor who experimented procedures that was not in medical books. He made mistakes because he was bold and fearless that way. Mr. Ocampo made it clear that he was not trying to ruin our national hero's name. Instead, he was making a point that Jose Rizal may appeared to have been a lousey doctor but one thing is for sure, HE WAS NOT AFRAID TO FAIL.

I think it's important to learn to not be afraid of falling flat on your face. We may be achievers at one point of our lives but who is to say that this winning streak will go on until the prime of our lives? At one point or another, we will have to lose and if we're not ready for that it will be so much harder to accept defeat than to be prepared for the worse.

If there's one thing in life that is constant, it is change. Life is a wheel of fortune, they say. You'll never know when you'll be up the wheel or down the wheel. Don't be a hamster who's running the wheel but will always be stuck at the bottom no matter how fast he goes. Always strive to be better than what people think you are. Defeat stereotypes and when people put you down, show them that they're wrong. And if you get tired of trying to prove something to people around you, it's okay. You don't owe anyone. Live your life and strive to be happy.

"Sapphire and faded jeans
I hope you get your dreams.
Just go ahead let your hair down.
You're gonna find your place somewhere, somehow."
- Put Your Records On, Corrine Bailey Ray

Cheers and good luck!

1 Comments:

Blogger Maria Bella said...

I LOVE this entry!!!! I love how you put my feelings into words :) Yes...let your hair down, make mistakes, and don't ever let anyone get the best of you~ *hugs you tight*

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home