the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Way to go, Pacman!

So Manny Pacquiao beat Eric Morales again. I should be happy. I am happy, of course. But I'm sad also because Morales' career is over. The look he had when he was being beat up by Pacquiao was heartbreaking. My father said he looked at his father and shook his head in defeat.

I hate competitions although by nature, humans are competitive. We compete with each other everyday-- in school, in our life's achievements, in our community, even in the family (immediate or extended). So you see, there is competition everyday and that means there will always be winners and losers. I wish it were easy-- to accept defeat and throw in the towel. But losing always hurts and it's not easy to accept loss especially if it's your career or passion that are at stake.

I nicked this poem off Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul because I loved the message. It will help you gain a better understanding in praying for winning a fight.

Sidenote: I'm going to use this layout for a while. I can't seem to write with the other layout because the fonts are so small. This is just temporary. I might bring the previous one back, it depends. :)

An Athlete's Prayer

It was right before the big one and the football player said,
"Excuse me guys for just a sec while I go bow my head."
And in the quiet of that room
The football player prayed,
"Oh God if nothing hear me now
I know that fate is made."

"So help us Lord to win this game,
It's the big one, man, you see,
If we lose this game that's it for us,
Please do this, Lord, for me."

And as his body knelt in prayer,
He looked up to the sky,
"And while I'm here, and have some time,
I need to ask you why?"

"They say you never help teams win,
Just do it once I pray,
We will pay you back in kinder deeds
Or in another way."

"The reason I can't help you win,"
The Lord just then replied,
"Is as you're asking me to win,
So is the other side."

"I'm everybody's father and
I must not take one side,
So games are played all on your own
Or they would all be tied."

"But that doesn't mean you shouldn't pray,"
He answered him with care,
"You can pray that players don't get hurt
And that all the calls are fair."

"And then I won't just watch the game,
I'll bless it with my care,
Because dear son you need to learn
That life's not always fair."

And while the player heard this voice,
He bowed his head in prayer,
"I pray for fairness," said the boy
"And for your tender care."

"You shall be blessed," the Lord replied,
"Your team and you the same,
And now will you excuse me boy,
I cannot miss this game."

-Sandy Dow Mapula
Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul 2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home