the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Monday, February 26, 2007

"Live, Love + Lomo baby!"

My back hurts. I've been online for several hours reading up on Holga (I just found out that you don't call all lomographic cameras "Lomo" because it's a brand of a part that can be found only in LC-A and Lubitel models and that you use the word "lomographic camera" or "toy camera" for the rest of the toy cameras). Anyway, I did my research because you just don't point and shoot a camera especially if it's a fixed-focus camera. That is, if AND only if you are a newbie (source: me me me!). The lomographic rule is supposed to be "Just shoot. Don't think." Oh dear. Looks like I'm going to be wasting a couple of rolls of film before I get my act right. Apparently, Holga isn't for beginners in lomography. The Colorsplash is. But I love the format of Holga photos so this shouldn't be a difficult task. My real first love is the Lomo LC-A but that will have to wait for a couple of months. Yes, I just might start a collection because I probably won't be reliant on my part-time pay and my parents anymore so yey!

I joined Lomomanila.ph-- a message board of a group of lomography enthusiasts. They're so interesting and photo-trippy like me! They also have an account at Flickr and YahooGroups. These people are so helpful for newbies like me. I can hug the monitor of my laptop now. HAHA!

The group is awesome that the moderator emails you himself when your account is activated and approved. He says I have so much to catch up on but if I can make it to the March lomography exhibit, I can probably still join. *gulp* Of course, I want to! But I'll have to play with the Holga first before I join any exhibits. *squeals in delight*

I read up on film, developing, and other basic information on the Holga. I even took down notes!



lunch
I don't know why I feel so bloated. This is a mini pizza that I sliced into four for lunch. I just had half and I'm full already. *blech*


Look, I did my homework:
notes for holga


holga virgin


120 films




a quickr pickr post



Some newly discovered links on lomography/toy cameras/Holga insipration:
http://www.toycamera.com/
http://holga.com.hk/gallery/

This is so fun!

I'm sharing this article below from this website.

The Lomo.box 11 Golden Rules of Lomography gives an alternative view point to educate the new and old lomographers in the scene. Statements of intent that go beyond the rather glib, intentionally amusing 'rules' that every Lomo enthusiast likes to quote. Live, Love + Lomo baby!

1. "Three hundred and sixty five degrees!"
Looking up is as scary as looking down. Left, oh look... right! All around you and from every angle there is a shot to be taken.

2. "Don't be afraid to try new things"
Put away that photography manual and unlearn what you have learnt. This is lomography. Shoot from the hip and be fast. Don't be afraid to try new things. Lomography is all about about experimenting.

3. "Stop making sense"
You may ask yourself... am I doing this right or wrong? Don't stress! Lomography often at times isn't meant to make sense so stop trying to. Relax and simply click away. When you stop making sense you will more than often find your best results.

4. "What you see is not always what you get"
That's the joy of Lomo. The unpredictable, the unexpected. Just when you think you know what you are shooting, the camera finds its own way of looking at it.

5. "Have reverence for nothing"
By all means respect your subject but don't be in awe or afraid of it. Approach everything and everyone with excitement and a little madness.

6. "If you see the shot you want, it's too late"
It happens all the time. You're not really looking for an image and then you see it. By the time you've got your camera out, it isn't quite the same. So always be ready. Always be a lomographer even when you're not.

7. "There is always enough light, even when there's not"
Let the camera worry about the exposure. Before you even see the picture, breath in, click the shutter... then do it again.

8. "Think inside the lens, but feel beyond it"

What you see in your viewfinder is only half the equation. Get the picture right but try to convey what you're feeling about it. Expose not just the film but yourself!

9. " Lose your mind, not your lomo"
Life is unpredictable. So is your lomo. But you can always depend on the lomo to make some kind of weird sense of your world. Never let go of it, even if you let go of your sanity.

10. "Time doesn't hold you"

Time shouldn't hold you when it comes to lomography. Your lomo should be with you twenty four hours a day. There's always a party going on somewhere. Is your lomo with you now?

11. "Live, Love + Lomo baby!"
Don't waste a moment of experience. Live your life, love and let lomo be a part of it everyday.


"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary."
- Cecil Beaton


OHMYGOD! I LOVE THIS QUOTE! SHE SPOKE MY MIND!!!

* * *


I initially wanted to post a picture post from the weekend. I had such a great/happy-tummy weekend but I'm too lazy to do a picture post. Maybe later or tomorrow. :P

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger KAI said...

Envy your appetite, girl! I wish half of a mini pizza could serve up a meal for me too. I badly need that kind of serving. Haha! Have an awesome week! :)

3:43 PM  
Blogger JUN said...

One of my frustrations was to own a Hasselblad or a Nikon F, both icons of the pro cams, I was lucky, though, to still have my Nikon FE for 25 years. Thanks to your Dad. You're luckier young lady. Some day i'll post my color slides of Manila and Batangas scenes.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want a lomo too! i visited the site where you bought your Holga and i've been thinking of saving up my money to buy a lomo for myself. hehehe. :)

-vanya

10:08 PM  
Blogger rain contreras said...

Hey, uh, Flickr friend. Uhm, try this wonderful FAQ, too :D Hehe. Also, do join ToyKameraPilipinas :)

9:51 AM  
Blogger kaleidoscope-eyes said...

hi gail! i'm thinking of getting myself a lomo but i'm kind of new to this thing so what camera would you suggest that i get? i've been hearing a lot of good things about the holga but someone told me that 120mm film is hard to find (and also very expensive!)

what do you think of the colorsplash and the fisheye? thanks! :)

10:48 PM  
Blogger Gail Mallo said...

RAIN: hi! thanks for the links! :D

KALEIDOSCOPE EYES: i suggest the colorsplash or the fisheye if you're not willing to splurge on 120mm film. it's not really hard to find in my case. i know a person who sells 120mm film and we can always meet up. plus, the fuji film main store is near my place to it's easy to stock up. :)

10:47 PM  
Blogger Gail Mallo said...

KALEIDOSCOPE EYES: ay mali. you're asking pala which is better between the two. I'd go for the colorsplash. :)

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home