the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Friday, February 23, 2007

For The ♥ of Japanese Culture

I love the Japanese culture. Not just because I studied Japanese history in my Asian History class. Not just because the Japanese culture has gone pop culture. I think it's also not because every single year in my entire eight years of schooling in Myanmar, I was among the luckiest students to be picked for the Japan-Myanmar Harmony and Friendship Day. Meaning, all international/foreign schools in Yangon were invited to participate in the harmony and friendship day. There were art contests and performing arts contests. My sister and I were always among the singing/dancing group (yessss! I used to sing haha!). The most embarassing performance was the "Polka Dot Bikini" song. I'm not even sure that's the title. It goes "Two, three, four, tell the people what she wore!" HAHA! Nooo, we kids didn't wear skimpy bikinis. We wore bloomers instead. Bright yellow, white polka-dotted bloomers. YIKESSS. But it was fun. Every year the Japanese Harmony and Friendship Day was fun. There were boots scattered at the soccer field of the Yangon Japanese School. There were free origami , sho (Japanese calligraphy) and ikebana lessons. FUUUNNN!

My sister was born in Kobe, Japan. I was also conceived in Japan (HAHA! Overshare!). My father thinks that his best assignment yet was in Japan. I've never been to Japan but if you count the stop-over in Japan en route to the United States, then I've been there. Heeh.

Maybe these factors played a big role in my fascination for everything Japanese, maybe not.

I don't know, some fascination just cannot be explained.

Oh, I also have a fantasy to study in Japan. Sometimes I imagine myself walking the Tokyo streets snapping pictures here and there. Who knows? Maybe one day I will be blogging from Japan. :)

Clam Shell II
Intramuros, Manila
March 3, 2007 (Saturday)
10:00am-6:00pm


Featuring:
34th Nihongo Speech Contest
Book Launching of "Junctions Between Filipinos and Japanese: Transborder Insights and Reminiscences"
Arts & Performances from the Japanese language students nationwide
Japanese Toy Exhibit
Cool booths from different schools and organizations including OngakuSociety
Mochitsuki & Other Japanese sweets
and lots of Fun... Fun... Fun... A Whole Day Affair


Schedule of Events:
10:00 Speech Contest
12:40 Arts & Performance Part I
1:40 Speech Contest Awarding Ceremony
2:30 Arts & Performance Part II


For details, please contact The Japan Foundation Manila
Tel: 811-61-55 to 58
Fax: 811-61-53
http://www.jfmo.org.ph/

I AM SO THERE. Jane, game? (haha, that rhymed!).

P.S. I really had a bad day today but whatever. I'm not going to let anything get to me. I was in a sing-song mood earlier and I refuse to come back down from the natural high. It's the effect of music, I tell you. I want to hug my two year old iPOD Mini for being a good companion.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Aletha Jane said...

this is so cool! arts, toy exhibit and more... i'm definitely going! haha! i'm glad you posted this. anything about japan. count me in! let's go japanesey!

are there tickets?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Gail Mallo said...

JANE: it's freeeee! :D

10:54 PM  
Blogger Aletha Jane said...

YAY! i'll skip my project meeting at school for this. HAHA! forget it, i'm going here! i can't wait! see you!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Gail Mallo said...

text text tayoooo! :) wheeee!

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of my biggest dreams is to go to Japan someday. haha! i love everything about them. :) my sister's currently residing in Osaka. i envy her. :P

its me Vanya, btw. hehe. :P

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home