the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

supermarket musings

I went grocery shopping with my sister yesterday. I love grocery shopping. I love supermarkets. I love the dairy section, the fresh produce section, and the the dry goods section (no I don't like the meat and fish section). I happily pushed away my own cart and reached for everything that we needed at home-- toilet paper, shampoo, new toothbrushes, shower gel, coffee, milk, yoghurt, ham, etc. And I had fun doing just that! I like looking at stuff, reading labels from productst that I'm not even interested in but just for the heck of it. I like smelling lotions, shower gels, soaps, and shampoo bottles. It's weird, I know but I just like supermarkets.

One sad thing about the whole grocery shopping experience was the fact that I realized that prices have sky-rocketed. I mean even for everyday Pinoy ingredients like garlic and onion prices are ridiculously steep. So when it was time to pay for the two carts of stuff we bought I realized that while prices continue to soar, the daily income of Filipino household members remain the same. And that IS sad when we think about minimum wage earners who live by hand-to-mouth existence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home