the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

my first surgery (so what if it's just dental?)

i underwent dental surgery this afternoon and the anesthesia is still at the right side of my face. you can slap me and box my face all you want and i won't feel a thing. i feel like the right side of my face temporarily died. even my ears are numb.

during the surgery i wanted to plead for the dental surgeons to knock me out. i know, there's anesthesia but i have low tolerance for pain and i have a pretty colorful imagination. so you probably know what i was thinking as i lay on that dental recliner thing with my mouth wide open. i closed my eyes because i didn't want to see the instruments used by the surgeon. i felt like i wanted to run for dear life because i was so scared.

it has been hours now and the effect of anesthesia is going to fade. i'm going to feel the pain and i'll rely on medication for that. damn wisdom tooth. hassle ka!

there are two more but i don't think i want to get them yanked off any time soon because i'm still petrified. yeah, yeah. i'm such a baby. so what? it's really scary and painful afterwards.

my post dental surgery condition: i feel like my lip is like that of Eddie Murphy in Dr. Do Little. you know, the part where his lip got so enlarged that it looked so scary and gross? i keep asking my mother if my face looks that swollen. so far, so good. but i'm going to have to deal with the swollen face for a week until the stitches are off. rawr.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gail,

haha... yeah, I had my tonsils removed a couple of years ago and the post surgery experience was as painful as I remember it being, meh, at least its over. I hope you get through yours with as little pain as possible :-P

My family left for the UAE today, Im sort of sad but at the same time, glad that my life can get back to 'normal', whatever that means, you know, doing what I want to do, hanging out with friends, late night road trips, studying or the lack thereof, haha... but seriously though, it was great introducing them to all my friends and to the lifestyle that I lead at univesrity, Im sure that my sisters definitely had a blast!

I'll be seeing them again anyway this coming Christmas, speaking of which, are you ever going back to the UAE to visit? I'll be there for sure 8 months from now, and judging from experience, 8 months isn't that long to wait, especially with school taking place throughout.

I enjoyed reading your previous entry :-) in one sentence, "don't let the way others act dictate the way YOU should ACT" or something to that effect, haha...

Take care and God bless!

xox

Renjie

5:47 AM  
Blogger The Pageman said...

hi gail,

for some people
they actually
look forward
to a day with the dentist
to a day with
NO
local anaesthesia
to a day where they
can
FEEL
the scraping of the
METAL
tools
against their teeth
to a day where
THE DENTIST
can actually do
NOT ONE
NOT TWO
NOT THREE
but
FOUR TEETH
because
their patient has a
HIGH TOLERANCE
for
PAIN &
DISCOMFORT
and that the
patient
ACTUALLY LOOKS FORWARD
to a day when
he can smell that
UNFAMILIAR
smell
of METAL
grinding
against
TEETH (almost like bone!
while
LOOKING at the CEILING
wondering
WHEN
will be
THEIR NEXT TRIP TO THE DENTIST
be.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home