the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

please don't forget about Burma, i know i wouldn't

"Please use your liberty to support ours."
-Aung San Suu Kyi


When my father got his Yangon, Myanmar assignment during the late 80s, he went ahead of us (his family). When he got there, it was the time of political turmoil in the country where thousands of college students as well as ordinary citizens rallied against the oppressive military junta that rules the country to this day. These people were tortured and even killed. There was a massive slaying during that rally of the late 1980s. Curfew was imposed and political prisoners were tortured and those who were brave enough to stand up against their government, like Aung San Suu Kyi, were locked up. They were labeled as threats to the government. Aung San Suu Kyi was placed on house arrest. Until today, she is still locked up in her own home.

I remember that he talked about this to Filipino friends but I was a little girl then so I did not make much of this story. I was a little girl who knew little of political events. All I knew was that sometimes there would be riots, rallies, and army on the streets and that was it.

Aung San Suu Kyi is a famous political figure there. I saw her on tv, heard about her from our helpers at home, as well as from my parents and their friends. But I did not know how great of a woman she is until now when I'm old enough to understand all that she fought for and is STILL fighting for. I remember as a child, I picked up a book at home which was a biography of hers. I did not read it, I just flipped through photos of her because I had a little background of who this famous woman was. She was a general's daughter, a very smart lady, a wife to a British national, and a mother as well. It was a pity that when her husband died in Britain she was not even allowed to attend his funeral because she was on house arrest. I now regret the chance I let pass for not keeping the book or even reading it. I wish I took my time because I want to get to know this extraordinary lady, one who gave up all the luxuries in life to lead an oppressed nation on the road to democracy.

During the last few weeks of my life in Yangon, my family gave up our house (I LOVED THAT HOUSE) because the contract had ended. We moved into our family friend's house which was a stone's throw away from where Aung San Suu Kyi lived. Every Sunday after mass, we would pass by that house with the tall green gate and see a crowd outside. Sometimes there she would be standing behind the gate with barb wire, talking to her supporters. Her guards were members of the army. That gate was heavily guarded but there you'd see her every Sunday.

I did not make a big deal out of it all back then. But looking back from where I am now, I'd tell myself how awesome it was because I got to get a glimpse of this extraordinary lady. She was worthy of her Nobel Peace Prize.

I think it's time to look for another biography on her.

"Those fortunate enough to live in societies where they are entitled to full political rights can reach out to help their less fortunate brethren in other areas of our troubled planet."

-Aung San Suu Kyi
(pronounced as AWNG-SUN-SOO-CHEE)



I urge you, PLEASE DON'T FORGET ABOUT BURMA. It is a beautiful country where people are very hospitable. They are very much like us Filipinos and if you are not aware of the kind of political oppression the people there are experiencing, please take time to educate yourselves.

PLEASE DON'T FORGET ABOUT BURMA. Especially during this trying time of humanitarian crisis left by the cyclone Nargis.



CLICK: http://dontforgetburma.org

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home