the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Glad to Have You Back, Mama

I'm home! I spent the night at the hospital. Actually, it was two days and one night. I'm tired because I didn't get much sleep especially when nurses would come in and out of mama's room. Mama was in pain too. It usually happens during the night.

I want to talk about Mama's out of the world experience.


The operation the other day was a hysterectomy. The doctor took out my mother's uterus because of a condition that was making my mother bleed. She also has myoma so the doctor took that out too. So my once home for 8 months was taken out and it took three hours. On the day of the operation itself, I went to the hospital so that when mama gets out of the O.R. I'd be there. My grandmother, father, and I waited THE WHOLE DAY for mama to be moved from the operation room to the recovery room and finally to her hospital room. But she took almost ten hours in the recovery room. My father and I called the recovery room four times to ask for updates on how my mom was doing. All the nurse said was that my mother had high blood pressure and high blood sugar (she's diabetic). So we waited and waited and waited. Finally, from 4pm it was already 1am. We were all getting worried because the standard time for recovery was only two hours without complications. So more than two hours must mean bad news, right?

When mama was finally transferred to the room at 1am she looked so frail and weak on a hospital bed. She was also throwing up and crying because her operated tummy was too painful. I wanted to cry while watching her in pain and throwing up like that. She looked helpless.

The next day mama was still in pain but this time she could talk. That was when we all found out what really happened-- she stopped breathing for a few minutes. YES, SHE STOPPED BREATHING. Ohmygoodness! That's why the nurse handed over to my father an oxygen mask and some other paraphernalia. It was used to revive my mother when she slipped into unconsciousness and stopped breathing. Next thing she knew was that she woke up and heard the doctors shouting "LIMCUMPAO! LIMCUMPAO!". The whole scene was probably like one of the hospital t.v. shows we watch when someone flatlines and then doctors and nurses try to revive them. It was surreal to have to hear that I almost lost my mother. WE ALMOST LOST HER.

So it gets more interesting. According to my mother, when she slipped into unconsciousness, her soul must have wandered away from her body because the next thing she knew, she was in some place very foggy. Her surrounding was white-- almost like clouds. And then there were two tables-- one with a white table cloth and the other one was silver. She walked pass that and then the next thing she knew, she was already floating. She reached a place where there was a man and the man told her that it wasn't her time yet and she couldn't enter.

Isn't that WEIRD? And then when she slowly regained consciousness she saw the nurses and doctors scrambling to stick wires/electrodes on her chest, she heard the heartbeat monitor beeping, and a nurse was putting an oxygen mask on. "Limcumpao! Limcumpao!", the doctor said in panic. And then my mother closed her eyes again trying to take in what just happened and she prayed to God that she was back.

She was home again. And I'm glad she's still with us today. I don't know what could've happened to this family if anything happened to her.

2 Comments:

Blogger jon go said...

aww gail..neither would i! so thankful that everything is ok now..

6:54 PM  
Blogger JUN said...

thst's why cherish and love everybody, not only your family members, but, those who are around nearby and who really love for what you are. spend special time with them as you would with your friends. love, they say, is spelled as T-I-M-E. when your tita nette had her surgery, i prayed to God for the doctor and nurses also. that they would be really be as professional for her safety and her fast recovery. i'm glad she made.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home