the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

ValenTIMES na!

When I was a little girl, I thought the word "Valentine's" was pronounced as "Valentimes".

In Myanmar, I had a Thai friend named "Valentine". She was this mousey, smart girl who wouldn't talk to anyone unless spoken to. Whenever she'd go back to Bangkok, she brought to Yangon these cute little pencils with pencil-tops on them with different characters. I loved those pencils and she'd let me borrow them whenever I liked. She had very neat and narrow penmanship too. We had play afternoons together at her house every other week. Her father owns a Thai antique sword that hung on the wall of their living room. I remember being scared whenever I see that sword. I think I watched too many Samurai action movies when I was little.

In third grade, I received my very first Valentine's Day card from a real boy who really liked me. The boy was a grade lower than I was. So he gave me this card in front of my whole class and instead of giggling like a giddy girl, I CRIED! Seriously. When I got home I asked my sister to run to the garden and burn the card. Talk about immature. I still remember what the card looked like-- it was a peach colored heart-shaped card, it smelled like bad strong perfume, and the words "Dear Gail, I'm crazy for you" was written on it with scrawny handwriting. Another time he chased me around school with a camera and tried to take pictures of me. I hid inside a bathroom on the second floor and cried like a baby. Oh my. I'm laughing as I write and remember this because it's just SILLY! Today, this boy is already married with a child.

In Abu Dhabi, Valentine's Day that year was on a Sunday. Father Eugene, as usual, delivered his sermon with his loud, booming voice. He's Italian. A very strict Italian priest who disliked noisey children. Thus, the "babies room" was created. He doesn't smile. Frankly, I don't even like the guy. But that Valentine's Day he moved me when he questioned why this heart's day turned commercialized. He said that Valentine's Day turned out to be a day when businessmen take advantage of the season selling flowers, dinner packages, etc. with a ridiculous price. Where did the real meaning of "love" go? Does it always have to be the love shared between two people? Does it have to always be related with romance? How about love for your neighbors? for family? for children? for the homeless? So that was one memorable Valentine's because for once in my life, I actually listened to him preach.

These are just random memories of hearts' day because it's almost Valentine's Day. I'm not a big Valentine's Day fan so now that I am a big girl, I celebrate it a few days before to avoid the big Valentine's rush or whatever they call it.

So yeah, spread the love! Wordly love, sisterly love, brotherly love, friendly love... ANY KIND OF LOVE. And stop patronizing ridiculously prized items just because it's Valentine's. It's just crazy.

2 Comments:

Blogger jon go said...

nice memories gail...btw...what about love for money? hehehe

6:59 PM  
Blogger Gail Mallo said...

haha pwede na rin! :P

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home