the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

of hobbies and more

just last week, apple texted me during her Indayog (UPM's dance varsity) meeting. they'll have part 2 of Sayaw Manila (a dance concert) and this time, the theme is going to be "movies". i was excited when she asked if i could present designs for the posters. i went to work right away and an hour later i got this printed on photo paper:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(C)Gail Limcumpao


when i saw her fellow Indayog members last week before meeting up with apple, i showed them the posters. they liked it! i was really happy. but they're going to pick out which one they like best from people who submitted designs. i hope mine gets picked just because! i realized how enthusiastic and happy you are when you're doing what you really like. in my case, it's writing and tinkering with Photoshop like this. i didn't even have to drag myself in front of the computer to conceptualize a design for the poster. it just happened and it didn't even feel like it was something i had to do at all!

remember the cookies i baked yesterday? after they cooled, i had no appetite to eat them. i only had a piece just to taste the recipe but i didn't want to eat it. that happened to me before when i tried cooking. when it was time to eat, i couldn't eat what i just made. now i understand my mother when she doesn't want to eat what she just baked or cooked. but today when i saw the huge container with cookies inside, i took a bite and i loved it! haha! i shouldn't have made the cookies because i might get addicted to it. i told my mother i could sell the cookies just so people have something to nibble on when they feel like craving for cookies. i'm not business minded, mind you. i think it's cool if i learned things on entrepreneurship because who knows? it might help in the future! plus, my mother is very famous for her baked goodies and cooking. i want to inherit her skills because she seem to make baking and cooking really easy! i didn't know handling a mixer could make my arm hurt. that thing is so heavy! plus, there are certain skills in baking that should be followed meticulously because baking is no joke.

but like any beginner, i have my funny story. this guy friend of mine (lets call him Mikey) asked me to help him out. he was running out of ideas to impress the girl he really likes so he asked me to ask my mom how to make brownies. the next weekend, we were already in the kitchen. i misread my mother's instructions. instead of putting 1/3 cup of cooking oil, i put 1 and 1/3 cups of it! in baking, you use certain cups that has measurements right? yes, i used the "1 cup" and then another "1/3 cup" instead of just "1/3 cup". so imagine what happened to the brownies! they would have been perfect but... it was WAY TOO MOIST that when you squeeze a piece, oil will drip from it! HAHAHA! man, that was so embarassing and i thought i was helping my poor friend. i don't know what happened if he gave the brownies or not. but one thing's for sure... I was so sorry for the poor guy! HAHAHA! well, we were supposed to make blueberry cheesecake in the first place but it would cost us roughly 800 pesos for just one whole cheesecake.

i'm hoping to learn more!!! but baking lessons from professionals (even for amateur learners) cost too much but once i'm done with school, i'll have time in my hands. i'll learn then!

my hobbies are costly especially if i want to take it one step further. examples? photography classes, web design/graphic design courses, and cooking lessons! then of course i'll want to take my hobbies seriously... i'll have to get a better digital camera, etc. BUT I DON'T HAVE THE FUNDS TO DO THAT! maybe when i'm already earning. until then... i'll read up on the hobbies and maybe it just might help.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel horrible... I completely forgot that it was independence day yesterday if i hadnt come across your blog today, :-S

I guess im just way too caught up with so many things happening here as of now, this is one of the only few times that Ive actually been able to sit in front of my laptop to take care of school work, and of course, blog hopping on the side...haha...

hope you're doing well... take care and God bless!

Renjie :-P

ps.... its so hot here now... somehow, i wish that it would start raining again...

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home