the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Wednesday, June 8, 2005

Hello, I am Gail Monique L. Limcumpao.

So you're here because you decided that I'm interesting afterall.

Kidding aside, I created this sort of biography because I feel like writing tonight. And yes, as narcisstic as it may sound, I feel like writing about my life.

I was born in Manila on August 6, 1985. I moved to Myanmar (formerly known as "Burma") when I was three and lived there for eight years. For a time, Burmese and English were my first languages while Tagalog came next. I spent my wonderful childhood years in Yangon and I think I can say that they were the best years of my life. I went to the Diplomatic School Yangon and that was where I met people of different races. It was like an international school and being exposed to different cultures was awesome. There were various intercultural activities where I actively joined like the Japanese School Yangon's Harmony and Frienship Day, which happened annually. There were international bazaars among the diplomatic community in Yangon too and those were the days that I look forward to because of the bake sales, games for kids, and raffles. Living in Myanmar enabled me to see the rest of what the country had to offer especially when my family and I went on a weeklong road trip to various Burmese states. We also traveled outside of Myanmar in those eight glorious years in The Land of Pagodas. Thailand was our favorite destination as it was just nearby.

In 1998, my father's post in Myanmar ended and we all moved back to Manila, Philippines. We lived in Manila for another two more years until we left for Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates for my father's next post. I spent high school there until my junior year and again, the three years in the sunny side Emirates were equally glorious than those years in Myanmar. The UAE was like a melting pot of different nationalities. It was the breeding ground of expats especially Filipinos. My school was called the Pioneers International Private School but mostly Filipinos go there especially the children of expats. It was so much fun growing up in a safe environment. Prior to moving to Abu Dhabi, I thought it was going to be all desert but alas, my ignorance was wrong. It happened to be highly developed city and it is a shopper's haven.

I came back to Manila to finish the rest of high school and to prepare for college entrance exams. I got into the University of the Philippines and studied Social Science. It was the best decision in my life, going into the University of the Philippines Manila. I spent my most meaningful lessons-filled collegiate life there and I believe it was here when I started to mature and grow. UPM introduced me to the world and prepared me to become a tough person no matter how much lemons the world will throw at me. I believe I got my confidence here too. The best teachers I've met, I met here at UPM because they are brilliant-- never selfish to keep their wisdom and knowledge to themselves. I look up to teachers who have made great impacts in my life as HEROES. They say that to become a smart person you need to surround yourself with even SMARTER people than you are. I believe I've become smarter not only because of my brilliant teachers but because of my brilliant blockmates who taught me so much in college.

I am now living life after college. I am still undergoing quarter life crisis. I don't know where my career will take me nor am I sure about having a career, to begin with. I'm still testing what the world has for me out there. I'm not in a hurry to accomplish things because I've learned to slow down and take one day at a time. I believe that things happen at their own time and pace. I am in no hurry to rush my life because I am still young-- there are still so many things to do, places to see, and people to meet. I love life and I'm embracing it wholeheartedly. This blog is a witness to it.

So yeah, that pretty much sums up part of my life.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home