the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

good karma or am i just lucky?

i altered the layout of the blog a bit because the font of the whole blog body is just too small that it's hard to read. it's either the too small font or my worsening eyesight that made me move around the text bodies a bit (the post body and the side bar).

i haven't written in a while because i've been either too lazy or too tired whenever i come home from school. i have developed an abnormal eating pattern since school started because my classes start either before or after lunch or i come home too late for dinner (or too tired..). so anyway, i'm not complaining although the abnormal eating pattern makes me really dizzy and light-headed at the end of the day. but that's okay because i'm only toxic on wednesdays. other days i get off really early. it's just the Change of Matriculation process that made me really tired this week because of lining up and walking around here and there to get the process right. but thank goodness i'm already done with that!

yesterday after my class ended at 5.30pm, i was already in the car with my father when i realized that i left my digicam (my FIRST ONE EVER) on the floor in class!!! so from UN Ave. my dad had to make that turn and my heart was already pounding when i went to the classroom. the lights were already off and i was so thankful when i found the plastic bag on the floor right where i left it. phew! i would've been in trouble if it was stolen! i must have done something right because of my good karma. this is my second time for being really lucky to find things when it could have been lost or stolen.

the first one was when my phone (which was only a few weeks old then) fell from my zipper-less messenger bag. good thing this lady called out to me right after i stepped out of the vehicle. she then handed to me my phone which apparently fell on the seat i sat on. i said a lot of thank yous before the vehicle drove off. i silently said thank you to GOD too for bringing such a nice lady to the FX i took to school. so i figured i must have done something right that made me deserve meeting nice people like that.

my blockmate Paolo also had his phone returned by a security guard at Powerbooks in G4 after he accidentally dropped it while tying his shoe laces in the store. a few minutes after he left Powerbooks, he realized that his new phone was missing. so he went back to the store and the guard gave him his phone back. as a reward, he bought boxes of Wetzels Pretzels for the good man.

see? good karma, i tell you. as my shirt goes, "what goes around, comes around." if you're sending out good vibes and you're nice to people, you'll bump into nice people too when the right time comes.

you don't have to be Mother Teresa or a saint, for that matter, to at least try and be nice. all you have to do is at least refrain from hurting people, cheating on them, and be angst-ridden all the time like the whole world is against you or something.

i read this from a book, it said:

"If you can't be nice to people, at least don't hurt them."

so yeah. it doesn't hurt to try AND it does PAY!

and...

this is the part when you say, "oh no, it's another of gail's music rants" and you can even be my guest by rolling your eyes if you think the things that i listen to are for dorks.

this list is inspired by Ina's soundtrack post and because we exchanged cds, we've been listening to the same things. some of the songs here were introduced to me by the borrowed cds. others i downloaded from Limewire, others i ripped from my cds.

Somewhere in Between (Lifehouse)
it's the type of song that you'd want to slow dance to with a special person. really. i told a friend once that the reason why i'm into rock/pop rock/alternative or whatever names you'd call it is because they have so much emotions. i mean rock songs are like that aren't they? you can feel the sentiments of the lyrics piercing through your heart without being too mushy that it's almost unrealistic already. instead of feeling "wow", you'd feel like "eck, how cheesey." (eck, how queso). they really don't overdo the lyrics.

A Sort of Fairytale (Tori Amos)
she rocks. if i had a voice like that, i'd definitely sing! i love this song. i usually listent to it when my ears have had enough of guitars and loud-ass bass in the background. it sort of mellows the mood, this song. i also download several of her songs like Cornflake Girl, Firefly, Sweet the Sting, and Love Song (the cure cover).

Fallen (Sarah Maclachlan)
who doesn't love Sarah Maclachlan? i love this song. i like her the way i like Tori Amos. her songs make me feel mellow and relaxes the nerves after playing too many rock songs.

Champagne Supernova (Oasis)
How many special people change?
How many lives are living strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?
Slowly walking down the hall
Faster than a cannonball
Where were you while we were getting high?
Someday you will find me
Caught beneath the landslide
In a champagne supernova in the sky


who doesn't love this song? i love iiiiiiiiit! although i have no idea what the hell a "champagne supernova" is. this song takes me on a natural high, the type of song that you'd want to listen to when stuck in a traffic or just driving around with not a destination in mind.

but according to what i've researched, Noel Gallagher himself wrote "The song is a bit of an epic. It's about when you're young and you see people in groups and you think about what they did for you and they did nothing. As a kid, you always believed the Sex Pistols were going to conquer the world and kill everybody in the process. Bands like The Clash just petered out. Punk rock was supposed to be the revolution but what did it do? Fall."

so yeah. i think the whole concept of the song is like the local "Alapaap" by Eraserheads. they say it's about drugs and the like but if you think about it in a different way, you can take the song as asking you to leave reality for a while and get high (THE NATURAL WAY, mind you). it's all a matter of perception and of course, the choice of which you want to believe. although i must say... if the song writer said he wrote the song about this, it affects your view on the song meaning big time. nevertheless, this is reality. we might as well take it in because this isn't a perfect world like that of Alice in Alice in Wonderland where bad things just exist in dreams and not in reality.

oh man, i'm so into this song. it does show, doesn't it?

Somewhere Only We Know (keane)
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete

Oh simple thing where have you gone
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

I came across a fallen tree
I felt the branches of it looking at me
Is this the place we used to love?
Is this the place that I've been dreaming of?

Oh simple thing where have you gone
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

And if you have a minute why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know?

Oh simple thing where have you gone
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

So if you have a minute why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go
So why don't we go

This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know?


wouldn't it be really great if someone asked you "why don't we go somewhere only we know?" i know it is for me! for some reason i've been into songs with piano in the background like Landed (Ben Folds). great voice, great beat, great instruments... GREAT SONG! this song takes me on a natural high!

Collide (Howie Day)
when i listen to this song in the car at night as i watch the world outside pass by in a blur, i get high. i don't know... there's something about the song that gives people hope that no matter how big this world is and how many different people there are... there will be one person you'll "collide" with.

Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the wrong words seem to rhyme
Out of the doubt that fills my mind
I somehow find you and I collide


cool huh?

Yellow (Coldplay)
Coldplay rocks my socks and if ever they come to town.. i'll definitely splurge on good seats just to see Chris Martin! i'm so jealous of Paltrow. grawr. i just love this song because it has a melancholic melody to it.

The Scientist (Coldplay)
another melancholic awesome Coldplay song. actually, i love all their songs! so no need to elaborate on how they rock and their songs too!

_________

this is getting pretty long! i'll add more in the future! HAHA! :) consider this the first installment of the songs i dig.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liane said...

i love the Howie Day's, Collide, makes my heart skip everytime.

i love to listen to Champagne Supernova when it's raining. it's the best rain song ever. hehe..

1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! thanks for dropping by sa site ko. ^^ v

and oh, i love sarah mclachlan! especially after playing all those other music genres that are loud. the first time i heard adia, i fell in love with it! darn that woman's great.

hahaha... yes, if you can't be nice to people, at least don't hurt them... that should be a saying reminded to everyone in the RO world hahaha. excuse my geekiness. :p

11:41 AM  
Blogger Gail Mallo said...

LIANE: i knowww! ganda noh? i always play this to take me on a (natural) high ;)

Lorenz: heyy! no problem!! your site is neat ;D

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home