the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Monday, November 15, 2004

Today before meeting up with A.J. to watch The Incredibles, I dropped by the bookstore to buy yet another Pilot sign pen because I lost the previous one that I bought which I haven't even used yet for school. I'm like that with pens. I always misplace them then they'd pop out of nowhere after a few weeks when I've just bought a new one.

Anyway, I browsed through the shelves not intending to purchase a book. I did it just to kill time. I saw the many books that I wanted including a tattered copy of The Lovely Bones. People at the bookstore should learn how to take care of the things they sell because this copy had its cover worn out. Better yet, they should cover the whole book with plastic just like other bookstores do. So I flipped over the first page and started to read just to see if it was as good as Oprah's Book Club said it was. I've been dying to get the book for two summers already but I kept getting other books rather than The Lovely Bones. Then I got hooked reading it. after the first few pages I made a mental note to myself to go back after the movie so I could buy it. I walked around the bookstore some more flipping over Sex and the City's Kiss and Tell hardbound humongous book (a whopping 999 bucks!). a few minutes later I went back to The Lovely Bones and it stuck to my hand. As if on a trance, I went straight to the counter and paid for it.

I'm loving the book because it has a different style of storytelling (Suzie speaks from heaven as she watches people close to her go over her death). While reading, I felt extremely drowsy so I cuddled between the fluffy pillows beside me and drifted off to sleep. I like the book so much that I even started to drift off dreaming about Suzie and her miseries while watching her family suffer the aftermath of her murder from heaven.

I was awaken to reality by the ringing of my cellphone. It was a friend. I absent-mindedly said, "Huh? Wha?" and the person on the other line asked why I was disoriented. I had to explain myself that I was taking nap.

So I have two good books that I'm hooked on at the moment: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (which I couldn't put down because it gets interesting every time I turn the page) and The Lovely Bones (which is equally as interesting and good as Harry Potter).

So now after I put down a book after reading it, I get confused whether to daydream about Harry Potter and what happens next during the Tri-Wizard Cup or about Suzie Salmon and her accepting her tragic death.

Dork, yes?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Liane said...

I didn't get the chance to finish the Lovely Bones book that my sister owned. I don't know somehow in the middle of the book, I got bored. But, right now I'm trying my best to read books without getting bored(cause I don't usually read books, AT ALL). So, my goal this coming Christmas vacation is to buy the Lovely Bones book and finish it along with Stephen King's "On Writing" and "The Elements of style" book. Tell me if the Lovely Bones novel turns out to be a good book in the end, that way I'll have something to look forward to this Christmas.. thanks! ciao!

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home