the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

I was eating late lunch this afternoon until I heard on tv that people are already singing Christmas carols. CHRISTMAS CAROLS! Oh yeah, it's October! And we're in the Philippines where Christmas is the most important of all "Ber" holidays. Nevermind about Halloween, All Saints Day, and Thanksgiving (we don't celebrate that here anyway), Christmas is the most celebrated holiday over this side of the world.

I'm probably one of the biggest fans of Christmas. I love the happy Christmas spirit that's contagious like it's a disease (the good kind!)-- everyone's happy, everyone's sentimental, everyone's family oriented, everyone's pigging out, everyone's giving out gifts even if they're almost flat broke from splurging on them and the list goes on. There are occasional Scrooges who will ruin the Holiday spirit for being a party pooper.

I used to be frustrated because as I grew older I noticed how enthusiasm for Christmas has dwindled. Some think that Christmas is just a formality to acknowledge the birth of Jesus Christ or that they have to put on a nice face and pretend to enjoy the festivities. It's not for me, it's more than that. I am my happiest when Christmas draws near because the preparation, the Christmas decors, the chilly air, and midnight mass on Christmas eve itself...they all give me a different kind of feeling that warms me in the inside. But as I grew older I also realized how I had every reason to be sad-- my family and I are always separated from each other on Christmas holidays. It's sad when we're away from each other on a holiday when everyone's supposed to be together. But such is our life, we make the most out of it by talking to each other on the phone or at least having them with us in spirit as we enjoy our Noche Buena. And my family has expanded as well including friends, new family (from my sister's new husband), and from Alej's family too.

Last year my fellow orphan friends and I celebrated Christmas together until New Year. We were together for a week! "Orphans" because their parents/families are out of the country too so we stuck together like glue to make our Christmas less sad than it already was. They stayed a few days and Cara's place and then back to my place. We had fun!

These photos were from the day after Christmas when we had dinner at Hugo's.






My frustration for people's loss of enthusiasm and being away from my parents for Christmas made me sad until I heard this line from E.R. It goes something like this: "Don't look for the spirit of Christmas from anybody else, IT'S IN YOU." So I will spread the Holiday cheer as best as I can. And yes, BE ANNOYED.

And hopefully next Christmas, my family and I will be together again.

Happy Holidays!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home