the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

something to think about

I'm not a perfect person that's why I hate it when I make mistakes and people give me a hard time about it. Erm, I'm just thinking out loud.

Totally unrelated: U.P. Manila Indayog Dance Varsity held it's 2nd Sayaw Manila last night at the Philam Life Auditorium. It's a dance concert featuring the different UPM college dance groups. It was fun watching. Besides, we were also there to support Apple-- our dancing diva of the block. HAHA! We're a melting pot of talented artists: stage actors/actresses, graphic artists, writers, and etc. Makes me feel lucky to be in Block 9! (yabang noh?).

Anyway, I designed the ticket and poster for the whole event. It was a nice feeling seeing my design printed on the tickets, on the souvenir program, and on the posters. Also, the nicest feeling was when i saw my name as the credits rolled on-- Graphic Artist: Gail Monique Limcumpao. Artists who have formally trained to be called "graphic artists" might violently protest because these people labeled me a "graphic artist" when in fact I only self taught myself to use Adobe Photoshop and manipulate photos. So if you have violent reactioins, be my guest. It was my few seconds of fame anyway and I loved it. I thought I could take this hobby of designing posters and whatnot to the next level by taking classes so I can freelance in designing posters or web designing. My future workmate (who is a more-than-once web awards winner) said he'd gladly help me out in teaching me more about web designing. That will be really fun. Maybe I can freelance! At the same time, I'll do what I really love to do and earn.

Here are samples of the poster and ticket designs:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


So in case you need anyone to help you with your poster/ticket design needs, you'll know who's going to willingly help you out.

I'm going to end this post by sharing this quote:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light , not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make and manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
Marianne Williamson, "Return to Love"

3 Comments:

Blogger Maniniyut said...

i remember when i first chanced upon your blog (thru ina, of course) it was your first poster ad for the same event of which i saw...and i thought all along you were indeed a "graphic designer". you and Ina are pretty good in using Photoshop, so being a web designer insn't far fetched. =)

btw, you keep changing blog layouts. magaganda rin yung nauna...can i use some of your discarded layouts and use it on my blog? (uy, feeling close hehe).

9:30 PM  
Blogger Gail Mallo said...

ABET: haha! i'll see what i can do for you :)

1:01 AM  
Blogger Niki said...

wow, good job on the poster/tickets! pro ka na! if i were in manila i'll be like, 'friend ko gumawa nyan'..haha...

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home