the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Saturday, December 11, 2004

a trip to see the doc

woke up early this morning to get dressed. my aunt texted me last night that she was going to pick me up to take me to the hospital. i haven't gotten the results from my lab tests which i took a month ago. so today we went. i saw the doctor, my mom's same doctor for her diabetes. he read the results then took my blood pressure. i'm still hypertensive (high blood) and he wrote down a lot of tests that i should undergo to determine what caused the irregularity in the result of the test that i took. also, he wants to know why i'm hypertensive.

he also said that he hopes that i don't have diabetes yet (although i'm going to inherit the family disease sometime in this life anyhow). it's too early if i do have diabetes. i don't want to yet because i can't live without sugar and everything else that's not supposed to be eaten by diabetics. i've seen my mom deal with her diabetes (injecting herself with insulin every day, monitoring her blood sugar daily, medication, almost monthly check-ups, complications and all) so i'm pretty much educated with the disease. heck! my whole maternal family has it including all my aunts! it runs in the family and the doctor said me being the youngest of two girls, i'd be the unlucky heir to diabetes.

so on wednesday i'm scheduled for another round of blood tests (4 shots for 4 test tubes...huu...huu...) and a urinalysis. i have to fast for 12-14 hours (i can't even drink!!!) before undergoing the tests. i made a mental note to myself to go to St. Luke's at 7am in the morning so that i can be on time for my 1pm class. my sister's going with me.

hay. when it comes to going to the doctor for check-ups, i'm always lazy because of the hassle of going here and there especially for the lab tests. this is the type of thing that my mother handles so patiently maybe because it's already a part of her lifestyle to have her routine check-ups for diabetes every 3 months. she really takes care of herself but she's also hard-headed sometimes when she eats too much sweets during dinner parties.

now i'm tired. i have 2 exams and a quiz for next week. i have to study the whole weekend. there's this Pahinungod activity for tomorow too. i'm not sure i could go because i have to study study study.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home