the geek chronicles

writing. shooting. embracing life.

Monday, November 28, 2005

Invictus by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey gail! haha... how you doing? thanks for droppin' by to say hi! its been a long time! although technically, not that long since we really havent met ... in person... yet hahah.... :-P

how are you? final exams are dawning upon me, term papers are due and Ive got to get cracking... which really only means one thing... blogging on xanga to procrastinate, haha... :-P

take care of yourself, something tells me Ive got to get back to work, haha...

God bless!

Renjie

8:49 AM  
Blogger Gail Mallo said...

RENJIE: i'm about to start thesis [insert loud groan here]. wish me luck! and i wish you luck too! don't worry. Christmas is around the corner and from what i've read from your blog... you're going back to the UAE for the holidays! hurrayyy! :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger Gail Mallo said...

IAN: huh? that's so weird because that's the right address: gailmonique@gmail.com

i love the poem too! and it's by William Henley entitled Invictus :) one of my favorite poems to date :)

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home